A few weeks ago we hosted a very special event in collaboration with Palacio de Canedo winery, from El Bierzo (León). This estate has been associated with wine since 1730, when they would make and store 30 thousand liters of wine from the vineyards surrounding the Palace.
Two and a half centuries later, in 1987, José Luis Prada decided to buy the palace with the idea of keeping it alive and to create a winery that works in the land. Nowadays he operates on 30 hectares of land with 60-70 year old vines that are all hand harvested and where organic agriculture is practiced.
Flor, José Luis’ wife, explained that their work philosophy and the methods they always follow respect the earth and the environment. Their goal is to achieve a clean and aromatic wine. It is a wine made in the vineyard, with all of the character from the land that produced it. In the winery they allow nature to follow its own course, looking after what the land produced. This is the way they obtain authentic wine with a spherical soul.
We had the chance to taste four different wines, each one with its own features, paired with some delicious cheeses, ham and figs:
- Palacio de Canedo Godello 2014: fresh, floral scent with notes of pastry. The palate is very fruity and persistent. An easy to drink wine.
- Palacio de Canedo Maceración 2013: medium-bodied and fresh with red fruit aromas and subtle cinnamon notes. Lively mouthfeel with a lingering finish.
- Palacio de Canedo Crianza 2008: aroma of intense black fruit and graphite. Profound and full-bodied, with balanced acidity and a good finish.
- Palacio de Canedo Limonada NV, a clean and bright sangria, showing all the fruit on the nose, mainly highlighting notes of lemon and jam.
It was a very amusing evening and it was definitely a plus to have Palacio de Canedo’s owners amongst us. Listening to their explanations and having the chance to share with them thoughts and doubts was a great way to learn and satisfy our curiosity towards their wines.
- Beverages (4)
- Books (8)
- Fish Specialties (28)
- Gift Cards & Baskets (5)
- Iberico & Hams (12)
- Imported Cheese (24)
- Kitchenware (1)
- Olive Oils & Vinegars (20)
- Olives, Almonds & Snacks (21)
- Pasta (0)
- Rice & Paella Essentials (17)
- Saffron & Spices (19)
- Specialty Meats (19)
- Spreads & Sauces (19)
- Sweets & Fruit Preserves (37)
- Tortilla (2)
- Turron & Holiday Specialties (22)
- Vegetables & Legumes (34)
Top Rated Products
- Our Twitter feed is currently unavailable but you can visit our official twitter page @despanaNYC.