Floral Flavors for Summer: Olive Oil & Orange Blossom Honey Muffins
Warmer weather brings bright, fresh Spanish flavors to the forefront. Fragrant orange blossom honey and fruity olive oil work together to create these slightly sweet Springtime muffins.
We chose to use our Cal Saboi Arbequina Extra-Virgin Olive Oil due to the mild and buttery flavor it’s known for. Other olive oils can have a spicier, stronger bite to them. While there’s a time and a place for strong olive oils, the mildness of the Arbequina allows other flavors to shine through.
Cal Saboi comes from the Lérida region of Cataluña. The region’s rocky hills, dry soil, and Mediterranean breezes give their smooth, fruity olive oil its distinct and delicious taste.
In Spain’s Sierra de Baza mountain range, Bona Mel’s bees produce Organic Raw Orange Blossom Honey. This variety comes from the area’s picturesque orange blossom groves, giving it an intensely floral aroma and a sweet taste that works beautifully for desserts or in tea. The orange blossom variety is the sweetest of our Bona Mel honeys, and gives these muffins just the right amount of luscious honey flavor. For the recipe, scroll to the bottom!
OLIVE OIL & ORANGE BLOSSOM HONEY MUFFINS
Adapted from Camille Styles.
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Cal Saboi Arbequina Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Bona Mel Organic Raw Orange Blossom Honey
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced and quartered, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a muffin pan or add liners.
In a big bowl, whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Then whisk in the olive oil, milk, orange juice, zest and honey.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined; do not over mix.
Pour the batter into the muffin pan, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Arrange quartered orange slices on top.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly golden, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool slightly on a cooling rack before serving and serve with an additional drizzle of orange blossom honey.
- Beverages (5)
- Books (8)
- Fish Specialties (25)
- Gift Cards & Baskets (5)
- Iberico & Hams (6)
- Imported Cheese (23)
- Kitchenware (1)
- Olive Oils & Vinegars (20)
- Olives, Almonds & Snacks (19)
- Pasta (0)
- Rice & Paella Essentials (15)
- Saffron & Spices (17)
- Specialty Meats (19)
- Spreads & Sauces (19)
- Sweets & Fruit Preserves (36)
- Tortilla (2)
- Turron & Holiday Specialties (22)
- Vegetables & Legumes (34)
Top Rated Products
Despaña Brand Mini Chorizo
Rated 5.00 out of 5$12.50
- Rosara Artichoke Delights in Olive Oil $10.80
- Cabo De Peñas Small Sardines with Piquillo Peppers $5.60
- El Lobo Chocolate Truffles with Orange $5.50
- Montegrato Pedro Ximenez Sherry Vinegar 16 Years $16.85
- Our Twitter feed is currently unavailable but you can visit our official twitter page @despanaNYC.