Mulled Wine with Rioja
It’s that time of year…the nights are chilly and long. We crave the cozy comfort of warm beverages in front of the fire (or wrapped up in blankets on the couch). This is a simple, but heart-warming way, to beat the post-holiday slump and make January a little more festive.
Mulled Wine Recipe (serves 4-5)
- 1 bottle (750ml) fruity red wine (like young Rioja or Tempranillo)
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup Brandy (optional, but much like in Sangria, this adds a little structure)
- 1/4 cup sugar or honey
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- Feeling fancy? Optional garnish: slices of citrus, orange peel, float a star anise or cinnamon stick in the glass or add cranberries!
Combine all your ingredients in a stainless-steel pot and gently warm (not BOIL or you burn out all the alcohol) on medium heat to simmer out all the delicious flavors for 20 minutes (up to 3 hours).
Strain, and serve warm to your guests. Garnish as you like. Incredibly easy, and so soul-warming. Salud!
(photo credit: Rioja Wine )
- Beverages (5)
- Books (8)
- Fish Specialties (26)
- Gift Cards & Baskets (3)
- Iberico & Hams (12)
- Imported Cheese (24)
- Kitchenware (1)
- Olive Oils & Vinegars (19)
- Olives, Almonds & Snacks (20)
- Pasta (0)
- Rice & Paella Essentials (13)
- Saffron & Spices (19)
- Specialty Meats (19)
- Spreads & Sauces (20)
- Sweets & Fruit Preserves (35)
- Tortilla (2)
- Turron & Holiday Specialties (12)
- Vegetables & Legumes (35)
Top Rated Products
- Our Twitter feed is currently unavailable but you can visit our official twitter page @despanaNYC.